Zonbu Update

Sunday 9 September 2007

I have been using my Zonbu for a couple of weeks now so it is time for a report.

  1. The good news is that I am still using it. In fact i am writing this blog entry with it. it is perfectly good enough for every day use.
  2. I have had to install rdesktop which i need to do my accounts. I hire a Windows VPS and run Quickbooks on it. This is the only Windows application I actually need day to day.
  3. I have had very little luck with printing. The Zonbu supposedly supports my HP Deskjet 970Cxi locally which it doesn't. I have also not been able to get my Windows attached Samsung ML-1610 working either.
  4. There are various other gadgets and Gizmos which won't work on it (scanners, Plantronics headset, etc.) but nothing that I need more than occasionally.
  5. Mplayer plays all the kids movies very well. I hesitate to say perfectly as the frame rate doesn't seem to bequite as good as my Athlon 64 in the living room running Windows Media Center 2005.
I love it. It appeals to 'green' me, and 'annoyed by whining fans' me. I am glad I bought it and I recommend it to anyone who is prepared to compromise 10% in functionality to reduce their computer carbon by 90%.

Posted by Robin Yellow at 17:45  

2 comments:

How usable is it for watching DVD videos / mp3s / online video?

blmjr said...
11 September 2007 at 04:04  

Mp3s are played through an iTunes clone called Banshee. All videos are played through mplayer which plays xvid, wmv, and divx effortlessly at 1280x768 from a 1mbit source.

I haven't played DVD's yet but since the motherboard has an MPEG2 accelerator on it, I would imagine this wouldn't be a problem.

Robin Yellow said...
11 September 2007 at 08:47  

Post a Comment