Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 on my Dell Mini 10V

Wednesday 9 December 2009

I have belatedly installed the upgrade to the first release of Ubuntu NBR on my Dell Mini 10V and it is a major hit. It is more attractive, a bit like the way a Mac is more attractive than a PC. It installed the new Google Chrome beta with a single click of the .deb file just like Windows does with an .msi file (I am writing this in Chrome on my 10V). It is faster to connect the wifi. I can browse my NAS through the file explorer. It has a super high WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). I cannot find fault with it. It is as competent as Windows in every department with all the advantages of Linux, reliability, speed, compactness, cost.


I had been getting excited at the Chrome OS pre-previews, but I vote this new NBR as a winner not just in the mean time but perhaps for all time.

Posted by Robin Yellow at 19:53  

5 comments:

I've just installed windows 7 on my laptop and have been impressed! like a lightweight version of vista...

But reading your blog has got me intrigued... might need to give this Ubuntu version a trial!

Unknown said...
10 December 2009 at 15:22  

Hey Asad, you have bought the license now. I recommend NBR for a cheap netbook not for a mainstream laptop. Thanks for the comment.

Robin Yellow said...
12 December 2009 at 17:58  

I hackintoshed my Dell mini 9 :D

Unknown said...
28 January 2010 at 17:41  

The way I see the Windows product that came on my MSi Wind, it's a dual boot option with Ubuntu NBR. Once NBR is installed, every application you ever needed or wanted comes with Ubuntu. As nice as Windows XP SP3, Vista or even 7 are, IMHO, they simply can't compete with Ubuntu NBR. Same holds for even being able to hack OS X onto a PC. The OS & applications in Linux, you'd spend several hundred, even thousands more to be licensed properly, Netbook or Notebook !

Unknown said...
12 February 2010 at 06:09  

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.I will make certain to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back down the road. I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great job, thanks for sharing.

2 September 2011 at 05:17  

Post a Comment