Offline Web Applications

Friday 1 June 2007

Now I often manage development projects and a barrier I keep coming up against is the problem that you have to be connected to the Internet to use an Internet application.  Not any more.

Those clever chaps and chapesses at google has come up with a clever way of doing offline webware.  It is possible with Google Gears to have a web application which works online and offline - yes you heard me - offline, ie. when you are not connected to the Internet it still works.  Google will be giving this away free to developers in a couple of months as part of their 'get-Microsoft' program.  I think they probably developed it so they can improve their current Google Docs and Spreadsheets offerings.  Whatever the reason I think it is a revolution...if it works.

Source: Google kicks offline Web apps into gear | CNET News.com

Posted by Robin Yellow at 01:46  

0 comments:

Post a Comment